A short review on the problems of Africa, this article is
unquestionably the most sensible I've ever read on Africa.
Happy reading.
When Africa is evading the way the world: again, slaves?
Thursday, August 10, 2006.
Sometimes in life we \u200b\u200bshake a casual conversation for hours or even days. I waited quietly a friend at the bus to Montreal when a gentleman of a certain age has caught up with me before committing one of the most enlightening conversations of my life.
Professor of Strategic Studies in International institute, the man knows the African continent like the back of his pocket. His analysis, his views on our future, gives chilling. And please, do not get the rancor of the "settler nostalgia. Read with the head and because what he says. I faithfully reported his findings:
"It is now more than 25 years that I teach strategy. In my career I have dealt with dozens of officers and senior African officials. Unfortunately I am obliged to tell you this: from the perspective of strategic studies, analysis and anticipation, I give them a big zero points. Our students are highly educated Africans, they have nice military uniforms or handle French in a remarkable manner, but in the course, they bring us nothing. Simply because to my knowledge, all French-speaking Africa, there is no one center of Strategic and International Studies with true professionals at their head.
I'll explain why I have no hope for this continent. When I speak, the world faces three major issues: energy, defense policy and globalization. Give me one instance where Africa brings something. Nothing. Zero. Let's start with the energy, namely oil. All world renowned experts are unanimous that the next 15 to 20 years, this resource will be extremely rare and expensive. In 2020, the price per barrel will be around $ 120. Is aware of this reality that countries like USA, France, China, UK, etc.. have established task forces to study and propose solutions that will enable these nations to get its hands on the world's resources, to ensure that whatever happens, their supply will be ensured.
Now what do we see in Africa? The leaders of this continent are not even aware of the danger that awaits them: simply find themselves bereft of oil, which means neither more nor less than a return to prehistoric times! In a country like Gabon that will see its oil wells dry up in a maximum of 10 years, no safeguard measures, no action alternative is taken by the authorities. Instead, they pray that we find other deposits. For Africa, oil has no strategic importance: it is enough to pump and sell. The funds collected are two directions: the pockets of officials and arms merchants' coffers. It's pathetic.
then strategic defense. The declining status of hosts Africa is so advanced that any armed movement with a few pickups and Kalashnikov is able to rout. I think it's more armies of internal repression and war and defense intelligence. Why? Because, compared to the armies of developed nations, China, India or Pakistan, more reminiscent of the African forces in the Middle Age that the 21st century. Take for example the case of air defense. There is almost no country has a defense system equipped with modern anti-aircraft missiles. They still use anti-aircraft guns. The cards have some staffs date of colonization! And no country has access to satellites can give information on the movements of suspicious persons or aircraft in its airspace without the help of foreign forces. What is the consequence of this inertia? Today, countries like the USA, France or the UK can destroy in a day, all the structures of an African army without sending a single soldier on the ground. Just by using satellites, cruise missiles and strategic bombers. In my opinion and I think I dream, if African countries put together, and that everyone agrees to give only 10% of its military budget at a continental center of research and application on defense systems, the continent can make a giant leap.
ago in Russia, Ukraine, China, India, hundreds of scientists from very high level that would work for $ 3,000 U.S. per month in order to deliver sophisticated weapons manufactured on the continent and used for your defense . Do not think I'm kidding. It should never be naive. If survival of the West through a re-colonization of Africa and its control over vital natural resources, this will happen without qualms. Do not believe not too much to international law and principles of peace, it is always the weak who cling to these fantasies. I think it's time to turn your officers (including 90% of son to father piston that will never make war and I know what I mean) by scientists capable of conducting research and development. But I'm skeptical. I believe that Africa will remain stuck in sleep till the sky falls on his head.
Finally, globalization. Unfortunately, as in all other subjects who were in their time, African students we receive are good parrots who repeat mechanically the arguments they hear in the West. Namely, we must make it human, to help poor countries cope. You know, in my office, there are realities that I can not say, but I'll tell you. Globalization is just the modern form of perpetuation of economic inequality. To be clear, I would say that this concept to a goal: keep the poor countries as sources of supply of goods and resources that allow rich countries to maintain their standard of living. In other words, hard work, tedious, low value added and unworkable in the West will be done in the Third World.
Thus, electronic devices which cost U.S. $ 300 in 1980 always return the same award in 2006. And because Africa is still not a coherent plan for economic development and independence, it will continue to be a reservoir of consumption which will be spilled all products manufactured worldwide. For me independence means first a degree of autonomy. But when I see countries like Senegal, Mali, Niger and the Central African import nearly 45% of their own food from abroad, you will understand just a military embargo on deliveries of goods and services sufficient to destroy them. Finally, I'll tell you a story. I was talking to a colonel in the Senegalese came internship with us a few months ago. We watched television images of millions of Lebanese who marched in the streets to demand the withdrawal of Syrian troops from their country. I asked him what he thought. He replied: "The Lebanese want their independence and the Syrian presence stifles them." This is the typical response of the naive idealism of borrowed. I explained that these events are neither spontaneous nor the expression of a ras-le-bol. They are carefully planned because they have a purpose. Israel prancing with impatience to fight with Hezbollah and since Tel Aviv can not make war at the same time the Palestinians, Hezbollah and Syria, his wish is that Damascus withdrew. Once uncovered Lebanon, Israel has carte blanche to invade and do what she wants. I called the Senegalese officer two days ago to remind him of our preservation. Unfortunately, it had grown to something else. His internship helped him to do anything.
I really hope that one day Africans will be aware of the strength of the union, analysis and anticipation. History shows us that the coexistence between peoples has always been and always will be a power struggle. The day you have your nuclear weapon such as China and India, you can spend your leisurely development. But while you have the kind of leaders I meet often, you never understand that compliance tore through intelligence and strength.
I'm not optimistic. For if tomorrow the African Union or ECOWAS decided to establish an African Institute for Strategic Studies credible and reliable, people will rush to be selected in the West to learn our way of seeing the world and its challenges. However, the challenge is different, we need to develop their way of seeing the world, African way reflects the interests of Africa. Then, officials will be there, diplomatic status, overpaid, ineffective and unable to think without the help of Western experts will be content to copy-paste, it will be another mess among many of the continent. Before your foreign ministries will do analysis on how the world works, they had better do first for your own interest. "
Ousmane Sow (journalist, Montreal)
July 27, 2006
Source: lefaso.net
0 comments:
Post a Comment