Saturday, December 30, 2006

Silver Cross Dolls Pram Jubilee

La sagesse et l'ouverture d'Ibn Arabi

For those who do not know Ibn Arabi, Muhammad Ibn 'Arabi (محمد ابن عربي), known by its very name of Ibn' Arabi (1165, Murcia in the country of al- Andalus - 1240, Damascus). Also known as "Sheikh al-Akbar" ("greatest master" in Arabic), it is a mystic, author of 846 books. His works have influenced Dante and St. John of the Cross. In his poems he discusses love, passion, beauty and lack. To learn more, Wikipedia has a very good article on Ibn Arabi .

Here are the words that I like most about Ibn Arabi:

miracle! A young veiled gazelle

Showing his purple finger and waving his eyelids!

His field is between ribs and guts,

O marvel, a garden among the flames!

My heart becomes capable of any image:

There is meadow for gazelles, a convent for monks,

temple for idols, for Mecca pilgrims,

Tablets of the Torah and the Koran book.

I am the religion of love, wherever its head mounts,

Love is my religion and my faith.


I remember when I posted the verses on a French forum, it y'en was one who told me "You veiled women, and now you steal gazelle hide," and I 'm was laughing too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment